Sunday, June 07, 2015

Tridentine Community News - Morning prayers, Prayers from the Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook, Prayers from the Manual of Indulgences, Mass times


"I will go in unto the Altar of God
To God, Who giveth joy to my youth"

Tridentine Community News by Alex Begin (June 7, 2015):
Morning Prayers

It is a laudable practice for Catholics to begin their day with some Morning Prayers. What sort of prayers are fitting for this purpose? Spontaneous prayers crafted around one’s personal intentions are certainly appropriate. In conjunction with those, it is beneficial to include some formulaic prayers which express timeless aspirations according to Catholic principles.

Prayers from the Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook

One of the best sources for traditionally-worded prayers of all sorts is Fr. Lasance’s Blessed Sacrament Prayerbook, republished by Loreto Publications. It contains pages upon pages of morning prayers. Below are a few for your consideration; they are worth reading slowly and thoughtfully to take in their full meaning.
O my God, I most humbly thank Thee for all the favors Thou hast bestowed upon me up to the present moment. I give Thee thanks from the bottom of my heart that Thou hast created me after Thine own image and likeness, that Thou hast redeemed me by the Precious Blood of Thy dear Son, and that Thou hast preserved me and brought me safe to the beginning of another day. I offer to Thee, O Lord, my whole being, and in particular all my thoughts, words, actions, and sufferings of this day. I consecrate them all to the glory of Thy name, beseeching Thee that through the infinite merits of Jesus Christ, my Saviour, they may all find acceptance in Thy sight. May Thy divine love animate them, and may they all tend to Thy greater glory.

Adorable Jesus, my Saviour and Master, model of all perfection, I resolve and will endeavor this day to imitate Thy example; to be, like Thee, mild, humble, chaste, zealous, charitable, and resigned. I will redouble my efforts that I may not fall this day into any of those sins which I have heretofore committed (here mention any besetting sin), and which I sincerely desire to forsake. I have the intention to gain all the indulgences I can in favor of the Poor Souls in Purgatory.

O my God, Thou knowest my poverty and weakness, and that I am unable to do anything good without Thee; deny me not, O God, the help of Thy grace; proportion it to my necessities, give me strength to avoid anything evil which Thou forbiddest, and to practice the good which Thou hast commanded, and enable me to bear patiently all the trials which it may please Thee to send me.

I adore Thee, O my God – one God in three Persons; I annihilate myself before Thy majesty. Thou alone art being, life, truth, beauty, and goodness. I glorify Thee, I praise Thee, I thank Thee, and I love Thee, all incapable and unworthy as I am, in union with Thy dear Son, Jesus Christ, our Saviour and our Father, in the mercifulness of His Heart and through His infinite merits. I wish to serve Thee, to please Thee, to obey Thee, and to love Thee always, in union with Mary Immaculate, Mother of God and our mother, loving also and serving my neighbor for Thy sake. Therefore, give me Thy Holy Spirit to enlighten, correct, and guide me in the way of Thy commandments, and in all perfection, until we come to the happiness of heaven, where we shall glorify Thee for ever. Amen.

O Divine Heart of Jesus, grant, we beseech Thee, eternal rest to the souls in Purgatory, the final grace to those who shall die today, true repentance to sinners, the light of the Faith to pagans, and Thy blessing to me and mine. To Thee, O most compassionate Heart of Jesus, I commend all these souls, and I offer to Thee on their behalf all Thy merits, together with the merits of Thy most holy Mother and of all the Saints and Angels, and all the sacrifices of the Holy Mass, Communions, prayers, and good works, which shall be accomplished today throughout the Christian world.

Morning Offering of the Apostleship of Prayer

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer Thee my prayers, works, and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Thy Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, for the intentions of all our associates, and in particular for the intention recommended by our Holy Father, the Pope.
Prayers from the Manual of Indulgences

The Latin and English editions of the Manual of Indulgences contain several prayers appropriate to start the day, all of which are enriched with a Partial Indulgence:
Dómine, Deus omnípotens, qui ad princípium hujus diéi nos perveníre fecísti, tua nos hódie salva virtúte, ut in hac die ad nullum declinémus peccátum, sed semper ad tuam justítiam faciéndam nostra procédant elóquia, dirigántur cogitatiónes et ópera. Per Christum Dóminum nostrum. Amen.

Lord, God Almighty, You have brought us safely to the beginning of this day. Defend us today by Your mighty power, that we may not fall into any sin, but that all our words may so proceed and all our thoughts and actions be so directed, as to be always just in Your sight. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Actiónes nostras, quaésumus, Dómine, aspirándo praéveni et adjuvándo proséquere: ut cuncta nostra operátio a te semper incípiat et per te cœpta finiátur. Per Christum Dóminum nostrum. Amen.

Direct, we beseech Thee, O Lord, all our actions by Thy holy inspiration, carry them on by Thy gracious assistance, that every word and work of ours may always begin from Thee and by Thee be happily ended. Amen.
Tridentine Masses This Coming Week
  • Mon. 06/08 7:00 PM: Low Mass at St. Josaphat (Feria)
  • Tue. 06/09 7:00 PM: Low Mass at Holy Name of Mary (Ss. Primus & Felicianus, Martyrs)
  • Sun. 06/14 12:00 Noon: High Mass at St. Albertus (Third Sunday After Pentecost)
[Comments? Please e-mail tridnews@detroitlatinmass.org. Previous columns are available at http://www.detroitlatinmass.org. This edition of Tridentine Community News, with minor editions, is from the St. Albertus (Detroit), Academy of the Sacred Heart (Bloomfield Hills), and St. Alphonsus and Holy Name of Mary Churches (Windsor) bulletin inserts for June 7, 2015. Hat tip to Alex Begin, author of the column.]

1 comment:

Nancy Reyes said...

Some of the old prayer books can be downloaded from internet archives.
www.archive.org